[TYPO3-english] FE-User Questions

Ivano Luberti luberti at archicoop.it
Wed Feb 16 16:10:36 CET 2011

Il 16/02/2011 9.12, N3 ha scritto:
>> Hi N3 or Jan?,
> It's Jan ;-)
>
>>> 1) is there a maximum number of front-end users? I am looking at about
>>> 40,000 users. Each user will only log in once.
>> No problem for TYPO3 ... if you server can handle it.
> Where might the bottleneck be? The database I guess? Will I have to take any
> precautions?

it heavily depends on the kind of processing your software performs.
Bottlenecks could be the database, the file system, the memory occupation.
Less likely it could be the processor.

>>> 2) how many users can be online at the same time before the system
> starts
>>> to get slow? What can I do to improve performance?
>> You better ask how many requests can be done simultaneously. Keep in mind
>> that FE-User related processing can not be cached as it is unique for each
>> FE-User.
> So what am I looking at: FE-User calls the site via the link --> is logged
> in --> the form gets updated with the related data --> nothing (user fill
> out the form) --> Form is submitted an data is written back to DB. That
> doesn't seem like to much stress. Lets say 10.000 users update within the
> first 24 hours, could that seriously bring any server down?

Can you assume that those accesses are reasonably distributed in the 24
hours?

BTW

A comprehensive evaluation would require to take into account a lot of
parameters involving many entities (HW, OS, DBRMS, Typo3, Apache)

That said, the most important thing to look at when using Typo3 id if
the pages of the web site you develop can be put in cache by Typo3.
For example there are certain extensions that when their plugin is used
make a typo3 page not be cacheable.

At the T3CAMP Italy held a few months ago in Bologna , I saw a very
interesting presentation made by Mauro Lorenzutti on this matter.

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959