[TYPO3-english] Extension developer helpers or speeders

Victor Livakovsky v-tyok at mail.ru
Tue Feb 15 18:08:57 CET 2011

Hello, List.

Can't say, that I'm new to extension development, but also I'm not really
experienced one :)
I have developed a number of various extensions and every time learned
something new about development. Most of the time my extensions were quite
simple and 'kickstarter' was my only friend in development. But once I faced
a "fat" task with business logic, different access levels and other scary
things :) I also started with 'kickstarter' only, but development took too
many time and my power, and most of the time I spent not to project
specific, but to form generation, field validation, data listings, various
access checks. I tried, failed, tried another variants, improved them, made
bottlenecks a bit speedy and so on. At the end, project succeeded and I got
much more experience, then ever before, but I was overtired and took a
vacation to recover myself.

So, when I got next even more "fat" project, I decided to use some already
existing solutions, that will take care of routine. And my mixture was
'powermail' + 'powermail_frontend' - many thanks to authors of these
extensions! :) The development was much more faster, then before, but still
I had to concentrate at some routine tasks. Also I couldn't achieve my task
with hooks only, so I changed some part of the original code (shame upon
me) - and I don't like such a way.

Finally my question is: what is the best practice for extension development?
Are there such extensions, that may speed up development by taking care of
some routine, like form building, data check, search, record editing, also
same for BE modules. Also developer should not be limited to the list of
actions, that extension provides. F.e., If I want to make some AJAX calls in
forms or add multi-level validation (first user fills and saves form, but it
is not visible for moderator, until user presses 'validate' button, then
moderator may edit and save form data, but it is not visible to
administrator, until moderator presses 'validate') or something more
complicated, I should be able to do it with my own extension - without
changing the code of helper, that I'm using.

I've seen, that big amount of extensions uses 'lib' and 'div' libraries.
Also 'wfqbe' often appear in this list. Additionally 'extbase' with 'fluid'
become more and more popular.
But I'm not sure, that they are what I'm looking for. Or I'm wrong?

Sorry for such a big message and probably stupid questions.

And thank you in advance :)