[TYPO3-english] Problem with danish characters after upgrade to 4.6

Michael Lykke typo3 at lykke-it.dk
Sat Dec 31 11:22:58 CET 2011

On 31-12-2011 10:32, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
>> It looks like the usual problem with character encoding, Latin1 vs UTF8,
>> but I'm not sure how to deal with it in TYPO3.
>
> Since TYPO3 4.5 you should use UTF8:
>
> http://wiki.typo3.org/UTF-8_support#Convert_an_already_existing_database_to_UTF-8
>
> HTH

Hi Xavier

Yeah, I checked the deprecation log (which was over 50M) and saw a lot
of entries about UTF8. Then checked the wiki and read about

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';

Setting these in the localconf.php solved the issue! Thanks!

I still have quite a few tables/fields in the db which are collated with
Latin1 but I'm not sure if I still need to convert them all to UTF8?

Best regards and happy new year,

Michael