[TYPO3-english] Whatever - was: DirectMail Subscription Replacement?

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Thu Dec 22 13:34:59 CET 2011

Dear Olivier,

> Just to finish my thought: Ever wondered why other CMS are slowly eating
> TYPO3 Marketshare?
Are they? On Twitter (the media that knows everything) people say that
frequency of CMS name searches has nothing to do with popularity. "Could
be just because it as more bugs". Good that we lock out all bots and
spiders from our bug tracker.. so we're good in stopping people from
searching for TYPO3 bugs *scnr*

> Missing features like a good FE User Registration is one of them.
Others say "An ECMS needs a linkvalidator". We got one with 4.5 and the
people who pushed that through are now just gone. This core component is
now maintained by exactly one person (Philipp Gampe), who is *not* a
core team member. It's not that he's delivering bad quality because of
not being one, of course not, but it's in core and "nobody" cares.
See felogin, tons of bugs that nobody fixes.

What's with the "community" extension? (mentioning it here as you
mentioned it in this thread). Ingo started it years ago and (I did not
try it, but) I guess it's still not really usable, is it?

Others would say that news is an essential core component. So integrate
news extension into core? There are a few people around Georg (at least
on forge) and they are not core members but hopefully do a good job, as
they are interested in maintaining this extension (hopefully for several
years..).

There are FE registrations out there - datamints_feuser which is pretty
nice and the one from Sebastian Fischer (don't know, if there's a team
around him). Why not have more than one - see sr_feuser_register, which
tried to solve *all* problems anybody ever had with registration and
badly fails.

Ah, as I just read it on twitter: Remember feeditadvanced as another
negative example? Fire and forget.. (because of other things to do?)

So citing your previous statement
 > We could need some love on those non-core features from the core-devs
 > in 2012!
I must say that I really disagree. You don't want me to build you such
an extension. If you had in mind that such an extension should not be
part of the core, just a high-quality extension developed by members of
the Core Team, I still disagree - of course, maybe others are more
talented and/or interested
My message is: We are no gods. We do just spend a lot of time on a
specific part of the big TYPO3 open source ecosystem: The core. We
neither have the time to develop *and* maintain also essential
extensions. That's why there's the separation between core and extensions.

I started sucking with my commitment as member of the Core Team in the
last few months, since I joined the Server Team, because I started
caring more about this one's affairs. Others suck in that team, as they
care more about other things (Steering Committee, Docteam and such
things). Everybody has just a limited amount of spare time (or work
time) to spend for TYPO3 and everybody has his personal interest and
focus, what to do for TYPO3 in that time.
I think too many projects fail, because active people are part of too
many teams and are not focused enough - instead of doing less jobs, but
doing them very well. Btw. I also suck at the logging project, for which
I found time to code only during the code sprint. So I don't want to
exclude my self.. but I think you get my message. We need more agencies
(like dkd and a few others) that offers their employees time for
community work! When devs can rock in client projects, they can also
rock in free extensions, can't they?

So: Find 3-5 interested and good people, announce a team kickoff meeting
on bigbluebutton.typo3.org, discuss whether you have the same
expectations of it, start coding and give the TYPO3 community another
great, usable and well maintained (!) extension for the next couple of
years. If people from the Core Team are interested, why not! But please
don't ask the team to do everything.

It's all my personal opinion and not an official statement of any team
I'm a member of. It got pretty long, sorry. You knew my opinion before,
but still I want to express publicly that I see the need for more
man-power (everywhere).

Kind regards
Steffen

--