[TYPO3-english] Language Pack Updates constantly failing

Oliver Salzburg kinggencha at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:55:29 CET 2011

On 2011-10-27 13:34, Oliver Salzburg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I'm checking for updated language packs in the extension manager,
> usually there are at least a couple of updates available.
> Now when I click "Update from repository", the updates will usually be
> marked as "Failed".
> Now when I check the status again, that same, failed, language packs
> are now marked "up to date". What's going on? Did the update now fail
> or not?
>
> What does "Failed" mean anyway? Where do I get a more detailed log of
> what actually happened during the update process?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Oliver

I'm repeating here what I posted at
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/30918#note-10 for completeness sake. Maybe
it helps someone here ;)

So I did a little digging myself and here is what I found.

The core problem here is the tx_em_Tools_Unzip class.
tx_em_Connection_Ter::updateTranslatio at n will call @tx_em_Tools::unzip
tx_em_Tools::unzip sees that I did not supply a path to the unzip
utility and decides to use the internal class tx_em_Tools_Unzip.

It will now assume that the return value of tx_em_Tools_Unzip::unzip is
an array when it completes successfully. This assumption seems to be false.
This results in tx_em_Tools::unzip returning false and
tx_em_Connection_Ter::updateTranslation returning FALSE. Thus, it
appears as if the process failed.

So a workaround is just to supply
$GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['BE']['unzip_path'] with a path to the unzip
utility and everything works great again.