[TYPO3-english] Convert all tables to InnoDB

Thu Dec 1 13:32:48 CET 2011

On 12/01/2011 09:39 AM, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> I second that. There are tables that are mainly read. They need to be
> MyISAM because that is the fastest. Changing them to InnoDB will slow
> down the whole installation.

But that's not the only reason to keep it at mixed storage engines, is it?

I remember that indexes behave differently (e.g. maximum index length)
and InnoDB doesn't support full-text search? Plus, InnoDB has a limit on
the maximum size of a row that would interfere with the large number of
columns that are (especially) required in tt_content, wouldn't it?

For a project with user integration between Typo3 and a webapp, we had
to write into fe_users. With all out tables being InnoDB we could use
transactions but since that one table is MyISAM, we had to write an
awful lot of special handling in case we have to rollback. We would have
simply changed the storage engine instead but we feared that may have
broken something (either in Typo3 core or some extension).

Out of curiosity, I'm tempted to try PostgreSQL for Typo3 some time but
as I fear that many extensions are MySQL-specific (and maybe requiring a
particular storage engine), that's something I would only try for my own
website and not for customer websites, at least not yet.