[TYPO3-english] Changing default language in Templavoila

Stephan Schuler Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Wed Aug 3 17:31:51 CEST 2011

Hey Kast.

I wrote some kind of explanation a view months ago -- but I did it in German.
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Nachtraegliches-aendern-der-Defaultsprache-p31108992.html
Because your example names German as former default language, maybe you know German.

As Jigal said, there is no simple way of switching default the language because of the database layout. There are "default language records" and "translation records of default language records". Translations know the default language records they are a translation of.

Imagine you have a default language and two translation languages A content element "1" is a default one, the content elements "2" is its German translation, the content element "3" its Italian translation.
Switching default and German language would require
* Switch 2 to be default language (easy to reach)
* Make 2 forget being translation of 1 (easy, too)
* Switch 1 to be German translation (easy)
* Make 1 being translation of 2 (not so easy)
* Make 3 being translation of 2, too (not so easy, too)

Another thing is translated XML data. The "flex" structure allows having records being responsible for "all languages". Those have XML data in them (like the pi_flexform of tt_content, despite exactly this one is *not* XML-translated) where one XML string contains all language strings. Inside this XML string, everything possible with TCA can happen.

It's possible, but it's not an easy database transaction. I think it requires kind of a database reorganization service.
If you want to implement something, I would suggest to do it by CLI. As it requires to potentially touch each and every database table, it should be done with some kind of chunking to avoid being stopped by CPU time or memory limitation. This would result in a totally broken database.
Flipping the "plain database stuff" can be done be reading every record into the PHP memory, creating kind of a UID mapping table and pushing some huge update commands to the database.
Flipping the XML translation is much harder. Therefore, you have to change strings inside the database by reading a record from the database, decode XML, change XML structure, encode XML and write the record back to the database.

Regards,

Stephan Schuler
Web-Entwickler

Telefon: +49 (911) 539909 - 0
E-Mail: Stephan.Schuler at netlogix.de
Website: media.netlogix.de

--
netlogix GmbH & Co. KG
IT-Services | IT-Training | Media

netlogix GmbH & Co. KG ist eingetragen am Amtsgericht Nürnberg (HRA 13338)
Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: netlogix Verwaltungs GmbH (HRB 20634)
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 233472254
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Buchta, Matthias Schmidt