[TYPO3-english] vge_tagcloud and proper handling of UTF-8 tags

Alex Tempara AlexTempara-199882 at yahoo.de
Tue Apr 12 09:55:47 CEST 2011

While running an UTF-8 site with proper working backend and frontend i'm
running in trouble with the vge_tagcloud.

I'm using TYPO3 for an spanish site where the database, backend and
frontend are properly set to UTF-8 and get proper special chars for any
part of the page (e.g. keywords, body, etc.) in the frontend.
But in the tagcloud section, special characters like "à ù ñ ì" in words
like pàgina or bùsqueda are not displayed correctly.

Some of them are splited at the position of this chars others are
displayed with this famous and uggly unknown symbols .

Playing around wiht word boundaries "splitWords" didn't help me. Maybe
i'm doing something wrong?

Since this is not limited to spanish, but also to german (äüö) and
french (Çé...) and generaly to UTF-8 i'm asking me what to do?