[TYPO3-english] Problem with german umlauts in tt_news

Janosch Skrobek janosch at bworx.de
Mon Sep 27 13:24:30 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a TYPO3  4.4.1 installation that runs the lates tt_news. I want to
change the back- and more-links _LOCAL_LANG via Typoscript but whatever I do
I only get errors.

plugin.tt_news._LOCAL_LANG.de {

  backToList = zurück zur Übersicht

}

Neither using ü (gets printed out instead of converted) nor using the
umlauts right away works.

I tried setting config.stdWrap.htmlspecialchars = 1 but that doesn’t help.

I tried setting the config.charset option to utf-8 and iso-8859-1. Although
the output changes it is still not the right chars. I get mostly squares
with question marks.

The site validates in w3c validator so no problem there I guess?

Is there anything I am missing?

I’m going crazy .

Thank you for any help

Janosch