[TYPO3-english] Difference empty dates and 1/1/70 date

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Sep 16 10:49:36 CEST 2010

Hi!

Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> As has been pointed out, the timestamp itself is not the problem,
>> rather the range in which it is stored. We could switch to something
>> better here, and probably will do in later, optimized backends.

Oh, I wrote three large paragraphs in response to this and decided to
delete them. We've been through this. This is exactly why FLOW3 is being
developed for years and still not suitable for real life usage...

>> Currently the PDO backend with the scope of "pure ANSI SQL" cannot
>> handle dates any better, at least that was my conclusion. Integers
>> allow range queries on any database, timestamp can be set and
>> retrieved reliably from DateTime, and we don't need any fancy type
>> handling in the DB layer right now.

Google gave me this at the first search attempt:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2374631/pdoparam-for-dates

This uses string parameters and ANSI SQL date format. I am quite sure the
solution can be found *if* somebody really wants to find it.

Actually, it is a big offtopic in this thread :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member