[TYPO3-english] Saving pages in BE locks complete database - working workaround

Christopher Lörken lists at bytro.com
Sun Oct 17 01:30:07 CEST 2010

As a follow-up for this problem: Thanks to some comments on
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=39091 I've been able to work around the
problem.

The reason for the database locks was due to a bug in MySQL which takes
extremely long to clear it's query cache when it is large and a lot of
entries in it are invalidated.

We had a query cache size of 3GB and reducing it to 256MB effectively
got rid of the problem for us.

As I wrote the problem arose when updating the "pages" table since in a
Typo3 installation very many queries are issued on that table and hence
stored in the query cache. One of the things which makes it probably
even worse is the fact that the standard select queries on that table
have timestamps of the current time in seconds in them so that they are,
even for the same user, new every second which effectively floods the
query cache with useless queries. And in a setup with lots of RAM
available and a large query cache, this will cause the problem.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. Maybe this note will help others.

Regards,
Christopher