[TYPO3-english] Introduction package license oddities

R. van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon Nov 8 15:21:52 CET 2010

Hello,

today I got a confused and concerned user on the #TYPO3 IRC channel,
when he was.

The introduction package states:

---
Introduction Package: This is a example of a typical TYPO3 installation
that bundles a XHTML template, the TYPO3 source and some well-known
extensions. Download this if you want to try out TYPO3 and play around
with it, or just to get a basic site with a predefined template up and
running

The creative commons license states:
You are free: to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work

Under the following conditions:
Attribution — You must give the original author credit.
Non-Commercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
No Derivative Works — You may not alter, transform, or build upon this
work.

It basically means that as a introduction package, you cannot use it for
any commercial purpose, which is not what TYPO3 advertises (Open Source
CMS)

But most of all, you are not allowed to alter, transform or build upon.

That means from all the templates and typoscript you are not allowed
to use it for your own templates. You are not even allows to play
with it and change the typoscript!

This specific user was rather worried about that and felt it was against
the spirit of TYPO3 and open source, I do agree...

So, how should a user use the introduction package, and why was it not
licensed with a more liberate license (free to use , also commercially
and allow to alter).

Ries