[TYPO3-english] Backend rights

Ulrich Lorenz PHZ Luzern lorenz.ulrich at phz.ch
Tue Mar 30 11:58:18 CEST 2010

Hi there

We defined two "types" of be user groups:

- Rights for actions, i.e. news-admin can insert and configure the
tt_news-plugin, newsletter-admin is allowed to use direct_mail
- Rights for different parts of the site, one group for the webmaster
who has access to all sites, groups for the different departments. These
groups contain rights to the correct news category, filemount, DAM
categories etc. In the access module you give everyone the right to show
everything (except for admin-only sysfolders etc.) and the right to edit
to the corresponding group. As for the DB mount it is best to give
everyone the right for the page closest to the root (your "portal"
site).

By using

options.pageTree.altElementBrowserMountPoints
options.folderTree.altElementBrowserMountPoints
(see TSconfig doc)

you see to it that it's possible for normal editors to set links or file
references to pages/files they cannot edit.

So then let's take editor of department X, he/she has groups editor and
department X:

- Has the right to write to the filemount of department X, can assign
DAM categories of department X, can link to all the files.
- Has the right to write to the news folder of department X, can assign
news categories of department X.
- Sees the correct structure in the page tree (Portal --> Departments
--> Department X) but can only edit his department page.
- ...

Let's have a look to the webmaster with the groups webmaster and "whole
site of the company":

His group webmaster inherits all the permissions from the more
restricted groups (editor --> editor-in-chief --> webmaster i.e.) and of
course he has all special rights (news admin, newsletter admin, address
admin etc.).
His group "whole site of the company" inherits all the permissions of
the more restricted groups (department a, department b, department x,
...)

So he has

- access to all files and DAM categories
- access to all news folders, news categories
- access to the complete site structure in the page tree
- ...

It takes some planning and time to set this up but after it is set up it
is quite simple to keep the overview.

Lorenz