[TYPO3-english] simulateStaticDocuments: Getting rid of "alias" in URLs without loosing page rank!?

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Tue Mar 30 11:22:03 CEST 2010

A customer has a big and elaborated multilanguage site with a lot of
pages with aliases. The aliases were (mis) used to create some kind of
speaking URLs. So we have something like::
    project.0.html

It seems much better to use the title for that pupose. Its longer and
translates automatically. So now we have:
   Project.project.0.html
   Projekt.project.0.html

I now could simply remove the alias, resulting in what I would like to
have:
   Project.123.0.html
   Projekt.123.0.html

BUT:
The site has fairly good page ranks. When I start removing the
aliases, the old links Google knows about will run into a
404-Page-not-found error.

Q:
What can be done best in this situation? The goal is to get rid of the
aliases in the URLs while keeping the page rank.

Wishful thinking ...
An option would be great that tells simulateStaticDocuments to always
use numbers on creation of links while still accepting aliases on
receiving.

Switching to realurl or cooluri ist not an option.

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
http://mbless.de