[TYPO3-english] choosing typo3

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 15:20:53 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:57 AM, g4b0 <gabriele at brosulo.net> wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>
>  > While TYPO3 is definitely a playground for developers, it is a very
>>
>> powerful and flexible platform for any kind of development. Drupal does
>> not have that power and it is far more limited. Everything comes at its
>> cost: TYPO3 power comes with complexity, Drupal's simplicity comes with
>> more limits.
>
> Which are the Drupal limits? I'm in the delicate process to choose one or
> the other, and now I'm pernding in Drupal direction...

I'd be interested in what you think are Drupal's limitations too Dmitry.

My day job is mostly developing sites with Drupal, and the biggest
limitation I've found with it is not actually a technical limitation,
but rather the community's decision to kill TYPO3's sacred cow,
backwards compatibility [1].

The Drupal community has effectively embraced planned obsolescence so
that approximately every three years there's a new, incompatible
version. An upgrade path, in the form of contributed modules, will
probably become available subsequent to each new release of the core,
but right now, on the eve of the Drupal 7 release (it's in alpha) it
looks like many sites built with Drupal 6 will need to be totally
rewritten if upgrading is desireable. By way of comparison, I have
sites running TYPO3 4.3 that started out in TYPO3 3.6 (almost 6 years
ago)...

There are other things about TYPO3 that I definitely prefer (the page
tree and the list module in the BE for starters, as well as the fact
that the whole Drupal menu system is laughable compared to
HMENU/TMENU...), but given that plenty of clients are successfully
using Drupal to manage sites with tens of thousands of records without
these features, it's not so clear that the lack of these things is a
limitation for users.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/