[TYPO3-english] How to Compress CSS/JS components with gzip in 4.40 ?

Christophe Stadler cs at cs-cc.com
Wed Jun 30 09:48:34 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am running 4.4 and everything works beautifully but i'm wondering how the
new FE compression works.

I am about to put a new site online and am trying to optimise the speed. I
am using the Firefox plugin Yslow for this.

I am getting

" Grade F on Compress components with gzip
There are 5 plain text components that should be sent compressed"

I have enabled FE compression and set the ratio to 5 so i'm wondering if i
need to do something else.

I couldn't find any specific documentation about this feature, could someone
exlain how this works ? How can i test if FE compression works, is the Yslow
test reliable ?

I owuld also like my CSS and JS minified but the minify extension doesn't
work anymore, is there also a built-in way to minify in 4.4 ?

My stylesheets are hardcoded into the <head> of my html template (i a musing
templavoila) and the JS's at the end of the document <body>.