[TYPO3-english] Workspaces and Workflows - Email or Visual Notification?

Denyerec denyerec at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:30:55 CEST 2010

Hallo all,

I have been experimenting with 4.4 and enjoying what I have seen so far,
the improvements have been positive across the board. In my experimenting
with 4.4 I tried to implement a dummy "Content Workflow", whereby I would
create a couple of users (Editor and Reviewer), generate some content in a
workspace and send it to review, and then as the "Reviewer" user, log in
and approve the content.

However...

It seemed to me that as a "Reviewer" the only way I would know I had
pending content to approve would be to manually investigate each page in
the Versioning module. I could not believe this to be the case, but could
not find any documentation to explain otherwise (Core docs for developers
and implementers, great. Docs for end users... Don't seem to exist? I
could of course be looking up the wrong tree, but so far have found
nothing but sticks and birds :) )

So my questions to the list are:
1- When content is created in a workspace by an Editor and set to
"Review", is any notification generated?
1a- If so, where do you see it?
2- Could an extension hook into that notification and perhaps generate
some content in the Taskcentre? (See Below)
3- Is there any default email notification within the system, to alert a
reviewer to new content, or does an extension exist to provide it?

I've searched the repo for all manner of things "Task notification",
"Email notify", "Workspace email" etc etc etc and didn't find anything
useful, so either my language is incorrect or such things don't exist yet.

Now, the "See Below"...

My thought was that the escalation/reduction of a content element's status
 from DRAFT to REVIEW etc must generate some event, which could be tied to
an extension that presents both a tasklist of "Content you have been asked
to approve" in the Task Centre (Which is currently quite underutilised I
think), as well as generating an email event to the usergroup in question
should they opt in.

I welcome all comments and suggestions here, if such an extension is
required I can begin to try and write it, although with my lack of time
and experience with BE extensions it might be another 3-4 years before
anything useful emerges, so I'm really hoping there's an existing
extension available!!

Kind regards,
Denyer

-----