[TYPO3-english] strange problem in google chrome with tmenu_layers

horace grant horace3d at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 22:43:53 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM, horace grant <horace3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > > typo3 website?
> >
> > The reason for that is that the objects are not really obsolete. We are
> > just saying practically speaking they are not needed. This is more of a
> best
> > practices / opinion kind of thing.
> >
> > > so is there some wiki or something with example javascript snippets?
> that
> > > would be very helpful and speed me up. :)
> >
> > The JavaScript and CSS to do various menus really fall in the area of
> > front-end coding and are not TYPO3 specific. My procedure is to to look
> at a
> > menu and determine first the front-end code needed to accommodate it. The
> > best place to learn about this or find examples are sites and resources
> > covering front-end code. Once I have figured out what my output needs to
> be
> > then I determine the TypoScript needed to create that HTML.
> >
> > In others words, I would not rely on TYPO3 specific resources to figure
> out
> > my final output code (HTML, CSS, JS). I would use TYPO3 resources to
> figure
> > out how to output that front-end code once I knew what that needed to be.
> >
> > > since i guess you still have to watch out for browser incompatibilities
> > with
> > > javascript?
> >
> > Not as much anymore. If all you need is a drop down menu then you can
> > accommodate all browsers except IE6 with just CSS. You can add a little
> > JavaScript to accommodate that browser.
> >
> > Google "suckerfish menu" and it will give you one approach and the
> general
> > principles.
> >
> > Here is a sample of TypoScript to create a menu with nested lists which
> > with the correct front-end code can be made into drop downs.
> >
> > globalMenu >
> > globalMenu = HMENU
> > globalMenu.entryLevel = 0
> > globalMenu.wrap = <ul id="globalMenu">|</ul><!-- end #globalMenu  -->
> > globalMenu.1 = TMENU
> > globalMenu.1 {
> >        expAll=1
> >        noBlur = 1
> >        NO.stdWrap.htmlSpecialChars = 1
> >        NO.subst_elementUid = 1
> >        NO.allWrap= <li id="gmItem-{elementUid}" class="level-1">|
> >        NO.wrapItemAndSub = |</li>
> >        NO.ATagParams = class="linkLevel-1"
> >        NO.stdWrap.case = upper
> >        }
> > globalMenu.2 = TMENU
> > globalMenu.2 {
> >        noBlur = 1
> >        wrap = <ul>|</ul>
> >        NO.stdWrap.htmlSpecialChars = 1
> >        NO.wrapItemAndSub = <li class="level-2">|</li>
> >        NO.ATagParams = class="linkLevel-2"
> >        NO.stdWrap.case = upper
> >         }
> >

> thank you very much! :) suckerfish menus seem to be really interesting. i
> wasn't aware of them before. i will experiment with them now...

suckerfish works great! :) thanks again...

now that i think of it... tmenu_layers and gmenu_layers have other annoying
issues too i had to fight against in many of my previous projects. for
example the drop down menus didn't work properly with centered websites. it
required edits in the php files.

darn, why didn't i come across such a solution earlier? :)