[TYPO3-english] How can I convert my database to utf8?

Jörg Klein joerg at klein-family.com
Wed Jun 2 15:45:57 CEST 2010

Hi Xavier,

"Xavier Perseguers" <typo3 at perseguers.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1275470625.22635.typo3-english at lists.typo3.org...
>> I want to use utf8 in my database.
>>
>> What shall I do?
>
> http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3/configuration/utf-8.html

I did what you described in the section "Converting an Existing Database".

One note: In newer MySQL versions charset and collation are saved separately
for every table and column.
So your hint to simply replace "latin1" with "utf8" corrupts the dump.
Instead I replaced
DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COLLATE=latin1_german1_ci with
DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_general_ci
and
COLLATE latin1_german1_ci with
COLLATE utf8_general_ci

Result: Special characters are broken in TYPO3: Instead of a special
character I get a small black box with a question mark in it.
They are displayed correctly in PHPMyAdmin.

Any idea?

Jörg