[TYPO3-english] Locks? What is the concept? and why are they hurting my site?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 07:46:17 CEST 2010

Hi!

Morten Kjems wrote:
> Can someone explain the concept of locks?

If many users come to the same page, TYPO3 will try to generate page
content in parallel. This may work badly for many extensions and for TYPO3
in general. Therefore page lock happens when page is being generated.

There are different types of lock. The most simple and universal is file
locking. The file is placed onto the file system and it is deleted after
the page is generated. Obviously if process dies in the middle, the lock is
never released.

In your case I would search error log for problems (PHP error messages or
anything else unusual). After elimination of the problem I would change
locks to use sysvsem instead of files. But only after, not instead. If you
mask the problem, it will not be gone. You have to cure it first.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core&security teams member