[TYPO3-english] Gifbuilder - GIFs for IE6 and PNG for all other browsers ?

Ron Hall ronslists at busynoggin.com
Thu Jul 22 23:59:06 CEST 2010

Tagging on to two posts to save on replies

> On Jul 22, 2010, at 12:24 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> For IE the format is gif, for other browsers png.

I would recommend writing the conditional just to give the GIF to IE6. Other IE's will handle PNG's just fine.

Make sure that PNG is the format you want. When it comes to solid colors and type GIFs do fine on all platforms. If you are generating photos then JPGs are usually best as PNG file size becomes a problem. PNGs are great when you need drop shadows with alpha transparencies.

> On Jul 22, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Christopher Torgalson wrote

> It may be true that any given site's proportion of IE6 visitors is too
> low to require additional support, but it is *not* safe to use any
> other site's traffic statistics to make this decision. Indeed, given
> that it's a site dealing with web development in general, there is
> some reason to think that w3schools' IE6 market share is much *lower*
> than is typical.

Yes, always go by the individual site for making browser support decisions. However, I have noticed substantial changes in IE6 & even IE7's share on general sites over the last 8 months. Maybe the long anticipated irrelevance of IE6 may not be far off. Can I get an "amen" on that?

Thanks,
Ron Hall