[TYPO3-english] License of the introduction package

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Wed Jul 14 04:39:42 CEST 2010

Hi Ron, and all

AFAIG it isn't but the package itself is well documented so that novice Non
Progammers - our future customers can use it. Using the API would be again a
programmers job and not a users job.

Of course it is a challenge to link to another site, especially if this
specific site is much better organized and informative. But on the one hand
the slogan is SHARE TO INSPIRE but the results of all these inspirations
does not get listed on the main site of typo3. On the other hand lots of NON
TYPO3 sites and Agencies which have perhaps seen TYPO3 from far get listed
on typo3.com.

i.e.
here in Asia people DON't use TYPO3 as it
Their Arguments are:

   1. "It is much to difficult and complicated to use. I checked it out in
   the web before I tried it and many people are complaining about it as it has
   a very steep learning curve."

   This is an argument I hear since 2002 but much less - actually nearly
   never from people which tried first the WEC package or the one of Gregory
   Remington.

   2. "Oh come on, read the forums, you need to learn a new language -
   typoscript - many people say this"

   Normal users, which are actually our customers lateron and which bring in
   our money, want to be flexible but also want to have a system without much
   coding for themselves.

   3. "It is very difficult on TYPO3.org finding a working extension, I
   installed lz-gallery and it wasn't working at all and crashed my site, but
   it is a gallery listed very high in your TER and many people are using it,
   if you belive in the numbers they are showing on the website."

   Well actually we checked and they are right (we never used lz-gallery
   before) Lots of the extensions in TER are full of deprecated functions and
   no more working in 4.4 and PHP 5.3

   4. "I installed the commerce extension and it wasn't working in the
   introduction package"

   Well again it was NOT the introduction package but the extension itself
   which blocked everything.

   5. "The introduction Package has no documentation and we don't understand
   all the coding in the backend"

   We discussed this already.

   6. "nothing is flexible and we don't know how to get columns and those
   really nice features like seen in the videos about the advanced frontend
   editing from Jeff working"

   They actually see the flexibility of the WEC Package and instantly think
   that this is also available in a standard TYPO3 Package but it is not!

   7. "everything looks very different from the very easy to use stuff you
   are using Andi, why, what is the difference"

well and exactly here is the point. The people get fascinated by videos they
find about the frontend editing which shows the very flexible templavoila
package of WEC, They get amazed by the great stuff Ron Hall and all present
with great success in the Internet, but when they download the intropackage
they are sitting in front of a total different stuff more or less and get
frustrated after a few minutes.

Yesterday we were able to change another 8 People in their thoughts about
TYPO3 - They actually turned over their existing Arguments completely after
our ThaiPo3 User Group People presented them the System and we showed them
the way to the webempoweredchurch packages. Some downloaded instantly the
server package and started with one of their classes, and as said before 2
people asked us change their website to this system. They are both using
Joomla until now!

We all could so much more benefit out of TYPO3 if we would give the people a
way to find the right stuff, as there are:

   1. *Introduction Packages for developers with Standard Templating* with a
   great Template and intro features, ideal for coders who want to learn about
   coding provided on typo3.org

   1.

      2. Fill in the content and your website is there. In comparrison to
   the WEC packages you would need still to upload and modify your templates.
   This involves some coding, if you don't use the one which is already
   provided - probably not as all sites would look the same ;-), but with
   images you can do already a lot.

   *ALL following packages are using TemplaVoila
   *
   3. *Introduction Packages for Business with Standard
Templating*(provided by Gregory Remington -
   mediatech.net). They provide a ready to go website for business purposes
   with lots of preinstalled and very useful extensions. Great solution for
   Agencies which need to setup a business TYPO3 website but also for
   developers who want to learn more about Typoscript by example.

   *ALL following packages are using TemplaVoila*

   4. *Introduction Packages for First time users and NGO Organisations* -
   ready to start and test with lots and lots of instantly working extensions
   an meanwhile a huge number of easy to modify and good looking templates (to
   be installed with a simple CLICK via TER!) - including the Frontend Editing
   people see on youtube - provided by webempowerdchurch.org
   IMHO the WEC package is the easisest and most flexible of all packages
   and therefore the best solution for everybody who even did not know TYPO3
   before and who is looking for a better way than Joomla or WordPress or
   Drupal etc to present his content online.

   You actually only would need to fill in your content as you can activate
   and deactivate all features (extensions) with one mouseclick so it does not
   show up or show up in frontend

   1. Download the Serverpackage
      2. Start it and test it
      3. Change your personal information in the site configurator
      4. Choose one of those integrated 6 templates or download anotherone
      via TER - click and go - instantly. You can also download busynoggin
      Templates and those from the ThaiPo3 Team from TER as all of them are
      compatible and working the same way.
      5. Activate features you want to use or not as there are:
         1. tt_news (News System)
         2. tt_news + timtab (Blogging System)
         3. Google Map
         4. Staff Directory
         5. Gallery with Lightbox (It can use a subfolder structure where
         you easily can upload images via FTP)
         6. Prayer Connector (which can be renamed i.e. to a Guest book or
         deactivated, It has nice modern looking Ajax features which avoid page
         reloads and people can subscribe to.
         7. Devotional Journal (which could be used also as an eLearning
         Journal for different subjects and the stuff can be discussed by the
         students per subject in a Discussion Forum)
         8. The greatest Forum which is also used on typo3.net is already
         preinstalled and working
         9. Calendar which is very flexible and can be used lateron with
         additional extension even as an event management system.
         10. An integrated Newsletter download system
         11. A frontend user registration with login and Frontend user map -
         working instantly
         12. Integrated Indexed Search search engine
         13. Integrated presentation manager to easily present your
         powerpoint slides or other jpg slides with sound in the web
         14. Integrated podcasting system to show Audio, Video and PDF files
         to an audience
         15. A flexible jobboard with nice modern looking Ajax features,
         incl. "save for later - feature" and Contact form.

         6. Here people can "play around with lots of features of TYPO3" and
      make a good decision about it, and of course they would have the website
      instantly as soon they fill in their content.

      7. To modify one of the templates you can start changing images, the
      constants and CSS and after you copied them via the integrated template
      chooser in the configurator to fileadmin. If something goes wrong simply
      copy it again - do regular backups might be better ;-) to save you time.

      When you are ready if you could upload your modified template to TER
      again. simply copy your template back to the typo3conf/ext
folder and upload
      it to TER - it is such as easy and would be a great contribution for more
      free TYPO3 templates.

      5. *Introduction Packages for Business purposes*, which are very easy
   to setup and provide the same backend/frontend features like the WEC
   Packages (well they have been made by the same person :-) but only few but
   necessary extensions The package is provided by Ron Hall busynoggin.com -
   the ideal Package for people who want to start a fresh new site with all
   backend and frontend features like in WEC but with no other religious
   content/naming and their extensions inside. ideal for business and agencies
   and Template designers. They can download one of the already existing skins
   and start learning how to modify and create those easily.

   Actually the same steps would apply to this package as for the WEC
   Package as both are based like T3Pack which we develop at ThaiPo3 are based
   on the same system:
   Ron Halls Framework for Templavoila.

Something like this is needed on TYPO3.org to direct different people to
different great packages according to their needs. It will be the diversity
which will bring create more customers all around the world.

I don't see so much problem to link to those companies/organizations which
provide those great packages with GNU Licenses as long as they provide also
a documentation and training Materials which are free accessible for all!

Or simply ask the companies if they would be OK to have their packages also
available from typo3.org - like the wec package was actually until 4.3!

Don't force people to use Standard templating as those who would like to use
the flexibility of templavoila get frustrated. Give them the chance to
explore both worlds and to make up their own decision!

If you need help to translate tutorials for framework for templavoila
Packages into Thai language please contact us! We are already working on the
translation of materials provided by WEC into Thai etc. as all our courses
are based on their materials!

http://translate.thaipo3.com

Andi