[TYPO3-english] Question on RSS feed (yafi/chnewsfeeds)

Orish Shrestha orish.typo3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 00:12:04 CEST 2010

Hi list,

I am generating a RSS feed using chnewsfeeds 1.1.0 from one site and use
yafi 1.0.7 to import that RSS feed. I am able to export and import the feed
successfully but the problem I am having is with the character set. Both the
site's database is in iso-8859-1. But when the news is being fed to tt_news
table by yafi, it seems to convert the characters in utf-8 and hence I am
getting all garbled characters in my database as well as in the front end,
though I am not sure about this. I am saying this because those characters
renders fine when I change the character encoding option in the browser to
utf-8 from ISO. So, I am wondering if yafi is really doing it or its the
output feed from chnewsfeed causing the problem. I check the encoding for
XML(feed itself) that generates from chnewsfeed and find ISO 8859-1 there
too.

I check for this issue on web but could not get any. I check for options to
set character set in both the extensions but could not find one.

Words of enlightenment on this topic will be really appreciated and eagerly
anticipated !

Regards,
Orish