[TYPO3-english] pi_list_query (pi_exec_query) does not take into account the groupby clause when count is enabled

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 12 19:29:22 CEST 2010

Jochem Nabuurs wrote:
> can anybody tell me why pi_list_query does not take into account the
> groupby clause when count is enabled. Is this a performance related
> design choice? I'm no mysql guru so I guess there is a good explaination.

The PHPdoc comments say that pi_list_query is deprecated since 3.6 (!).
Unfortunately it is not logged in the deprecation log, so I doubt that
it will be removed in 4.5 (also because 4.5 will be the Long Term
Support version).

Strangely enough it suggests to use pi_exec_query(), which uses
pi_list_query to build the query parameters.

It's better to use the t3lib_DB functions for queries IMO.

> The reason why I'm asking this is while I was playing with the
> dam_downloads extension I noticed duplicate records in the listView
> mode. This was caused by files having multiple DAM categories assigned.
> Therefore they where displayed for each category assigned to the file.
> The extension uses pi_exec_query to list results, but does it incorrect,
> according to my findings.

Well, you probably know the way to go :-) Bug report, maybe a patch...

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl