[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 solution for photo database

Ulrich Lorenz PHZ Luzern lorenz.ulrich at phz.ch
Tue Jan 19 14:38:07 CET 2010

Hello list

Our university has an archive of about 20'000 photos that are being used
in the website, in flyers and reports and are also available for the
press.

We need to make this archive available. As we make intensive use of the
DAM we think it would eventually be possible to integrate this archive
into our TYPO3 websites.

These features are needed:

- Assigning (multiple) categories (also by batch assignment) to pictures
(as done in DAM)
- Reading/adding meta data to pictures (as done in DAM)
- Category tree view
- Thumbnail view of the selected category (ev. with watermarks)
- Big picture view in a lightbox (ev. with watermarks)
- Full text search of the metadata with thumbnails view as result (as
done in DAM list module)

There should be two user groups (what could be realized by felogin):

- Read only users can browse the database (preferably with watermarks)
- Full access users may additionally download the photos in original
quality without watermarks

Our preferred way of downloading the files would be as follows:

- The (full access) user can add pictures to a kind of shopping basket
- After having finished the selection, he can download the files after
having entered a reason (e.g. 'these pictures are used in the website of
the research department')
- An internal counter should be available to show how many times a file
has been downloaded in full size

We know that at the moment there is no extension that offers all these
features. But we would appreciate every constructive input to this
topic: Has someone used DAM/DAM frontend for such a solution? May the
DAM assetsets help in future? Is there a shopping extension that could
be extended for this purpose? Or is it a hopeless mission to use TYPO3
for that kind of archive?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Lorenz