[TYPO3-english] Image Effects - How to add / modify existing entries

Denyer Ec denyerec at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 15:41:22 CET 2010

Hallo all!
I'm trying to add a mechanism whereby my editors can apply a watermark
to an image if they so choose. I thought that two methods for doing
this would be appropriate:

1- Using the content frames to somehow modify an IMAGE content element
appearing inside said frame
2- Adding a custom image effect to the "Effects" list that appears at
the bottom of the editing page when you're working with a content
element containing images.

Option 1 seemed out of my depth in terms of TypoScript, and I'm not
even entirely sure it would be possible given that the Frame seems to
modify the stdWrap.innerWrap parameter and I'm unclear on how I would
then apply IMAGE and GIFBUILDER properties to items contained within.

Option 2, well I've drawn a complete blank. I couldn't find any
documentation online, so I decided to grep the sourcecode for the word
"normalize" (Which is one of the existing effects) to see if I could
find the source for it. Nothing.  Then I tried to do a full DB search
on the typo3 database for the word "normalize" to try and find where
it is configured. Again, absolutely nothing! I then searched the
template analyser for the word "normalize" and "effects" and once
more, no results.

They appear to be related to the GIFBUILDER effects, discovered here:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/references/doc_core_tsref/4.3.0/view/1/8/
 but I'm not sure if that's extensible or not.

Does anyone know just where these elusive effects are configured, and
where I must look to find out more about them ?  I do not want to
apply watermarks to every image on the site, just those the editor
selects. I can probably figure out how to write the GIFbuilder code to
do the watermarking, but I'm at a loss as to where to find how to add
a new entry to the effects dropdown.

Alternative methods and suggestions gratefully received!

Kindest regards,
Denyer

--
-------