[TYPO3-english] apache bench mark tool over flooded typo3 site

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Tue Jan 12 09:08:50 CET 2010

Hello list,

Today I was testing my apache server with "ab" command aka apache
benchmarking tool.  I have found though it is a useful tool to check
apache performance ; specially if you install eAccelerator ; but in a
wrong hand it is very dangerous.  It creates a huge page call and bottle
neck the target apache.  During the check typo3 reports "database
connection error" !!!.  I have used

` ` `
ab -n 1000 -c 20 http://<site-name>/index.php?no_cache=1
` ` `

I have applied two possible solution which prevents the ab successfully

1] at .htaccess

` ` `
RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^ApacheBench [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} .. other agent  # other agets you want to
block
RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]

2]  Directly in apache through httpd.conf

SetEnvIfNoCase user-agent "ApacheBench"  bad_bot

<FilesMatch "(.*)">
Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=bad_bot
</FilesMatch>

Please inform if there is any other/better technique.

Thanks

 --
জয়দীপ বক্সী