[TYPO3-english] Database sorting danish characters issue

Brian Bendtsen bb at bellevuevej.dk
Fri Jan 8 08:45:30 CET 2010

Hi

I have discovered a generel problem in the TYPO3 frontend and backend, I
believe its related to charset configuration. The problem is with
sorting of danish characters, actually it seems to only be a problem
with the letter "Å", the last letter in the danish alpabet. No matter if
I'm dealing with phpMyAdmin directly or making a record sorting in the
BE or FE, there is made no distinction between the letter "A" and "Å".

Sorting should give a result like this:

A, B, C, Å

but right now its like this:

A, Å, B, C

Since I have this problem with phpMyAdmin I think its at problem with
the database, but just in case, here I have listed all the information I
have on my TYPO3 installation:

(localconf.php)
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['UTF8filesystem'] = '1';
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8'.chr(10).'SET
CHARACTER SET utf8';

(page tsconfig)
metaCharset = utf-8

----

And information related to the database itself

(Database table collation)
utf8_general_ci

(Information from running "show variables" in phpMyAdmin)

character_set_client utf8
character_set_connection utf8
character_set_database utf8
character_set_filesystem binary
character_set_results utf8
character_set_server latin1
character_set_system utf8
character_sets_dir /usr/share/mysql/charsets/
collation_connection utf8_general_ci
collation_database utf8_general_ci
collation_server latin1_swedish_ci

Any help is appreciated