[TYPO3-english] tt_news and pound sign

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 21 14:58:19 CET 2010

Kevin Owens wrote:
> I have a strange problem with displaying pound signs, I have impleted
> some changes to force the correct display of £ signs, however this is
> working fine for the list of news, but when I select a single item to
> display the detail it sometimes displays the correct '£' or sometimes
> if does not, and if it first displays the correct version, refreshing
> the page results back to a different code. any ideas..?

All the single view pages display with incorrect pound signs with me. It
is clearly an encoding problem; the page is in ISO-8859-1, but the HTML
header says utf-8.
Maybe your browser sometimes detects that the content matches the
ISO-8859-1 set better and decides to use that one (despite the HTML meta
tag)?

This effect is usually seen when you have latin-1 and utf-8 database
tables mixed together and the TYPO3 installation is configured to use
utf-8 (there may be other situations too).
Maybe the list view somehow triggers MySQL to automatically convert the
data to utf-8, while the query for the single view does not trigger that
conversion.

Anyway, check the usual:
- utf8-general-ci (or other utf8-collation) database, tables and columns
- $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8;';
- $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;';

--
Jigal van Hemert.