[TYPO3-english] Instructions for migrating site from webhost to VMware (Mac) Ubuntu ...

Christoph Stadler christophe at stadler.com
Sun Dec 26 16:55:02 CET 2010

hi everyone ... and happy holidays :)

i just migrated a multilingual Templavoila site from my online host to a
virtual machine install of Ubuntu so i can develop locally when i don't
have a web connection and don't have to suffer the low page loads in the
backend when i'm on a shitty connection ...

i had never used Ubuntu or Linux before and i was amazed at how easy and
fast it was to do this, so i thought i'd post a little guide here

here is what i did:

- downloaded Ubuntu

- downloaded a full backup of my web hosting directory (including mysql
databases)

- installed Ubuntu desktop 10.10 on Vmware Fusion on my Macbook Pro
(this only take about 5 min)

- installed LAMP and phpmyadmin

- installed imageMagick

- increased php upload and post size to 128MB so i could inject the
rather large mysql file

- imported my database by importing the mysql file via phpmyadmin

- copied the webfolder into var/www (if you can't modify the var/www
folder due to permission errors, run this command in a terminal: gksudo
nautilus, this will open a folder window you can modify

- set permissions and owners

	sudo chown -R www-data:www-data [mywebrootfolder]
	sudo chmod -R g+w [mywebrootfolder]

- edited localconf to use the newly imported database with proper
username/password/databasename

log into the install tool and backend and did a bit of maintenance, and
everything is working as expected, multiple languages including

apart from the benfit of being able to work on my site now without an
internet connection the speed at which the pages load and especially the
backend works is just amazing .. i've never had such a peedy t3 system,
not even on my local network running it of a MacMini over Gigabit Ethernet

when i'm working online (i have a dedicated server at my hosting company
and have a very fast internet connection) pages in the backend take
between 5 and 15sec to load ... in the VM the pageloads are almost
instantaneous

just thought i'd share this, it's probably not big news for experienced
developers, but i think this is a very good development system for new
t3 developpers, especially because you don't pollute your main Operating
system .. i have installed php/mysql/apache many times on different Mac
OS version (desktop and server) and it's always a pain, and most of the
times there are many problems, especially with imageMagick, GDlib, etc

of course this also works for fresh installs of T3 :)