[TYPO3-english] Can CoolURI disable random URLs?

Axel Joensson a.joensson at web.de
Sun Dec 19 01:24:32 CET 2010

Jan Bednarik <info at bednarik.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't understand the problem.
>
> I can call any site of any server with any parameter in URL and it will
> serve me the file (if not said, then usually index.html|php|whatever).
> This cannot be prevented.

I just tested that and was surprised to find you're right. Even static
websites serve a resource if you append some stuff with a questionmark.
I had in fact never tested that, because I never had such an idea.

> If the "randomL" parameter is a parameter recognized by your
> application, then what is the problem?

So far I didn't even know that my T3 installation does recognize a
"randomL" parameter. I just knew the questionmark is a common identifier
for parameters in T3-URLs, where there is no CoolURI/RealURL installed,
and L as the language parameter.

> Anyway, you can disable indexing of all URLs with parameters (URLs that
> include ?) by robots.txt.

Maybe I have to update my understanding of duplicate content.

So far I understood it in a way, that if a resource is served under
several names (e.g. due to parameters attached by questionmark) it will
automatically be seen as duplicate content.

If, however, I can call any file form the web with "invented" parameters
(which are not used by the website itself), this cannot be right, for it
would be valid for every single page in the web.

Regards
Axel