[TYPO3-english] Extensions potentially violating the GPL

Vincent Mans typo3.vincnet at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 11:27:24 CET 2010

Hi again,

So, in simple words (and if I'm correct):

1) if you make an extension using the TYPO3 API and release it to the
TER, it's GPL by default;
2) if you make an extension using the TYPO3 API and NOT release it to
the TER, it's also GPL by default;
3) if you make an extension using the TYPO3 API and you use other
libraries too, you can end up with several licenses (which should be
respected subsequentially - using jQuery for example, ans a lot of
people do that, is already such a case);
4) if you want to make an extension for TYPO3 but not under the GPL,
you are not allowed to use the TYPO3 API; only for the port to TYPO3
you might need the API, so the port extension is GPL (an advantage:
the software might be portable to other systems).

If my wrap-up is basically correct, I think existing extensions that
do not follow the GPL rules should be removed from the TER, and as an
courtesy service be placed in another ER. It's a good thing to make
that decision now and not postpone it (otherwise it becomes a
recurring issue).

For developers that want to use other licenses, the advantages of the
TYPO3 API cannot be available for their software. Because it's not
only a violation of GPL rules, it's also against basic principles of
TYPO3 about sharing your software. So this is covered both legally and
in principle. If you are a good developer, there should be no problem
in this: use a different library and port it to TYPO3.

* By the way 1: rights gained in the past are not easily changed. That
is legacy. But reading the thread, that's respected already. You can
only ask the developer to change the license, and if he refuses simply
remove the extension.
* By the way 2: this discussion has similarities with the in-company
discussions about components in the late 90's. I've seen a few
managers breaking their teeth on that subject. Many legal and economic
issues do interfere the creative processes. Be careful!

Greetz,
Vincent