[TYPO3-english] Extensions potentially violating the GPL

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Fri Dec 17 12:08:00 CET 2010

GPL policy forces company which make huge investiments to not use GPL
sw, simply.

Best approach is FreeBSD policy: use it whatever you like, but use it.
In such a way, usually, a company investing in its work, together with
"legacy" features, usually returns to FreeBSD a lot of improvements,
which is better for the same company to put in the FreeBSD mainstream.

My example: I'm writing some business extensions, which must be kept
private because there is a huge investiment in analisys, which need some
improvements on TYPO3 security. So, I'd love to submit these security
extensions to TYPO3, but keep business extensions. More, I'd love to
publish a ligh "compiled" version of business extensions, which will be
free usable for small business only.

In this way I'm encouraged to use TYPO3. If I'm forced to go GPL, I will
not use TYPO3.

Simply.

Regards,

Tonino

Il 17/12/2010 11:52, Kay Strobach ha scritto:
> Hi Dimitry,
>
> Am 17.12.2010 10:39, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Kay Strobach wrote:
>>> I do not think changing the TER rules solves this Problem.
>> Please, explain your point of view :)
>>
> nothing easier than that:
>
> 1) The main Message of TYPO3 is "Inspiring people to share"
> 2) Currently most extensions do not contain license information - so
>     they are thought to be GPL (as the author confirmed by registering
>     the license key) - but some are not
> 3) consistency - the core is GPL so all work depending on the core
>     (e.g. using core libraries) is automatically GPL code.
> 4) Most people think "Ohh Opensource - extensions are opensource too"
>     because of GPL ->  is connected with 1)
>
> Using the package_manager and perhaps lateron a hook in extMGM would
> solve that because the author could include additional components after
> installation, which do not fit the GPL without publishing them in TER.
> So the association does not harm any intellectual property by publishing
> third person work under the GPL.
>
> Having the hooks it should be easily possible to show "warnings" about
> non GPL code and license information in the TER (and lateron in the extMGM)
>
> The other point of view is to ensure the development of extensions after
> the original authors interest on an extension is gone. So others can
> contribute to the extension and ensure the further development. This can
> not be ensured with closed source.
>
> Here is how it was done with Joomla JED:
> http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/636-jed-to-be-gpl-only-by-july-2009.html
>
> I'm creating extension to earn money on my own and I'm paid for
> features, but anyway i mostly publish them in TER (some times with a
> delay) and most customers allow that after short explanation what
> opensource is about. But sure there some business relevant parts of
> projects, which are not public.
>
> Best regards
> Kay

         Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
    http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it