[TYPO3-english] typo3 + imagemagick + scaling of alpha transparent pngs

horace grant horace3d at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 17:16:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Jigal van Hemert <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 20-8-2010 16:23, horace grant wrote:
>>
>> i have a site which requires to use a lot of alpha transparent pngs.
>> the problem is, they look totally broken if they get scaled by
>> typo3/imagemagick.
>
> Alpha transparency doesn't work in TYPO3 yet. PHP gives us developers quite
> a hard time when it comes to combining transparent images and keeping the
> alpha transparency at the same time.
> It's on my list to fix this for version 4.5...

thanks for your answer!

i am not combining images though. they just get scaled. is this the
same problem then?

i also tried this on the server of a friend now which uses imagemagick
(instead of graphicsmagick) and while scaled transparent pngs look a
lot less broken it doesn't really work there either. there lots of
"firefly" pixels and the transparency is much less exact (doesn't look
like gif transparency though - more like the alpha channel has extreme
jpg artifacts :)).

cheers,
horace