[TYPO3-english] Is there any reason why "mainpalette" is used for the "fe_group" field in tt_content?

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 23 16:06:55 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

> In the TCA setup for the tt_content table, the "fe_group" field is not
> placed correctly/directly under the "Access" tab.
> (It looks like it's under the Access Tab , but it really isn't, as it's
> placed using the "mainpalette" option.)

I stumbled over this issue some time ago too. I think the rationale is
that - using the mainpalette option - the "fe_group" field will appear
for all content elements types, no matter what. Since there are a lot of
content elements, it saves having to add the "fe_group" to every "type"
in the TCA.

The drawback, of course, is that the positioning of this "mainpalette"
is kind of random depending on what a given content element type adds in
terms of fields or even whole tabs.

Searching a bit, I found the discussion I had started back then. It's in
the typo3.dev list and is entitled "Deprecating "mainpalette" property
of TCA['ctrl']". It didn't stir a lot of interest so I never came back
to it.

So it's a good thing that you opened a bug report, as it's definitely
something that should get improved.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter