[TYPO3-english] Saving pages in BE locks complete database

Christopher Lörken lists at bytro.com
Mon Apr 19 18:04:28 CEST 2010

Am 16.02.2010 15:38, schrieb Christopher Lörken:
> Ok, I've set the locking mode to disable (and cleared the cache ;)) and
> will report back in a couple of days when we know more.

Couple of days took longer than I thought, but I have tried some
different things.

Sadly, the Typo3 locking mode was not the problem. We've chosen
"disabled" but it didn't show any difference to the standard locking
method. (Except of some duplicate key errors when the cache was cleared
and some pages where generated in parallel).

Based on what Dmitry explained about InnoDB I investigated the
fragmentation a bit more and have changed our configuration to
innodb_file_per_table (i.e. that the InnoDB tables are in one file per
database table).
Sadly that didn't have an effect either.
Interestingly I managed to deadlock the database by issueing a "ALTER
TABLE pages ENGINE=InnoDB" statement when I wanted to rebuild the table
after a couple of days. Something what I wouldn't expect at all to make
problems since we only have 151 rows in that table and a total ibd
filesize of 320kb. Should not even take a second to recreate that file...

Since (as I've stated) some of our queries are shown to be in state
"end" without really ending I tried to find any problems connected to
that and came across this MySQL bug report:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=39091

It has been closed after the guy who had the problem upgraded MySQL so I
too upgraded our database from the most recent 5.0 to the most recent
5.1 but guess what... no effect...
(We are using the default InnoDB engine, not the Oracle plugin... Is
that stable enough for production? Is it faster/better?)

The only thing I can say is that queries (especially inserts) on all our
InnoDB tables sometimes take up 3-4 seconds to complete. This makes
working with the Typo3 cache really problematic for us.
I have no idea why.

I will try to get some feedback by posting my problem with the MySQL bug.

If anyone here has some idea we can try out, I'd sure be thankful and do so.

Best wishes,
Christopher