[TYPO3-english] RealUrl: Keep hyphen AND underscore

Torsten Schneider schneider at highest-mountains.de
Tue Apr 13 17:50:27 CEST 2010

Hello Dimitry

> Needs code change. But I doubt it is a good idea because people are used to
> have lowercase URLs. Making something unusual makes it problematic for users.

Of course you are right with that.
But my problem is that I have about 6000 Content Pages on the Site I
migrate to TYPO3 of which about 1000 do have upper case letters in the
URLs (not in the page name itself but in the folder structure) since
they were created a long time ago and I didn't think of making
everything in lowercase letters then.
And many of these pages have lots of external links and rank very high
in Google.

Of course I could add lots of 301 redirects to the .htaccess but doing
this for about 1000 pages would make the .htacces extremly huge imho.

So even if it is not really a good solution to have uppercase letters, I
think it would be the least terrible one...

The only other thing I could think of was to have a RewriteRule in the
.htaccess that rewrites all uppercase letters to the lowercase versions.
I tried this but I unfortunately did not get it working.

I have to fix this somehow since I could get a huge duplicate content
problem.
At the moment, like most servers, the server already delivers the
content of pages with lower letters if a uppercase letter is entered:
E.g.: Word.html delivers the content of word.html but the URL stays
Word.html
If now all the old external links have Word.html in them, TYPO3
generated new internal (and new external) links will have word.html (if
I can not change RealUrl to accept upper case from Speaking Path Segment
entries) and there are no rewrites from Word.html to word.html, Google
(and other search engines) will index the same content at two URLs,
Word.html and word.html - giving me the Duplicate Content Problem.

So any idea how solve this problem is highly appreciated!

Thank you once more for your help!

Torsten