[TYPO3-english] looking to migrate 3.8.1 from centos 4 to centos 5 - php, db and other components upgrade

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Thu Apr 1 15:44:08 CEST 2010

I don't think many (if any) is running installations with TYPO3 3.8.1.
3.8.1 is obsolete, and have security issues. The 3.8.1 isn't patched for
years. Probably the same regarding to extensions, which aren't possible
to upgrade unless you upgrade the TYPO3 version.

I would never prefer to stay with an old version of any software,
exceptions do occur. So my advice is to upgrade to 4.2.x, 4.3 is in my
opinion not an option on CentOS because of CentOS really slow
implementation of PHP. 4.3 need PHP 5.2.x

Multisite should not be any problem, I have upgraded multisite TYPO3
installations from 3.6.1 to 4.3.2 without any problems. Problems could
be extensions, but if they not are patched or xclassed this should also
work OK.

But you should do it the long way, from 3.8 to 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2.

In my opinion should staying at 3.8.1 not be any alternative at all.

Regards

Erik Svendsen