[TYPO3-english] Adding new tables for fe_user

Howard Johnson johnson at yachtandtravel.com
Mon Sep 21 21:21:23 CEST 2009

Hello list,

I have very basic problem, that turns to be more difficult than I expected,
and possibly lack of my experience with typo3 is cause for that.

Anyway, here is the situation:

I have system where students and professors can login (fe_users), and there
is table tx_ukschool_basic which belongs to existing plugin.

During editing or adding professor/student (fe_user), BE admin can assign
values for each of them ie (nationality, languages etc.)

But now I have a task to solve this problem:
After logging in, professor can see details of each student, and can give
them some kind of marks and various personal home-works.

Question is:Should I use existing plugin and extend its tables through
kickstarter or should I make "stand alone" tables, independent from plugin,
which will be in student-profesor manner with in between relation tables
student_has_profesor, student_has_assignment etc.

First I started to think in extending kickstarter way:.but then I realized
that I don't need any actions in BE, but only in FE.
If I go in second option I mentioned, will I experience difficulties  to
connect to db and make db queries or I can also use $GLOBALS['TYPO3_DB']
queries.

Thanks a lot!!!

Howard