[TYPO3-english] Sponsorship for mnogosearch + restricted content

Ingo Renner ingo at typo3.org
Fri Sep 18 23:45:21 CEST 2009

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

Hi to all interested in search engines (and especially Solr!)

> Do you mean the information from the podcast? I heard they ~plan~ to do it but I do not know if they did. There are no docs and no ChangeLog. I had a quick look to the extension, there are many classes but I do not fancy digging into them right now.

I think I have to clarify some things here:

* We actually _did_ implement searching for access restricted content,
and it's not as complicated as you make people think it is. :)

* documentation will follow, maybe this weekend, otherwise next week.
It's surely not complicated to set up Solr, there're even some scripts
provided with the extension that help you do that.

Here's a quick guide though:

1. Set up a J2EE container (Jetty is easy, but Tomcat works too of course)
2. Set up Solr (1. and 2. are covered by a script in
EXT:solr/resources/shell)
3. Copy schema.xml and solrconfig.xml to the Solr configuration directory
4. Install EXT:solr
5. Set the Solr connection in plugin.tx_solr.solr
6. Don't forget about config.index_enable
7. That's it, nothing more to do :)

* The many classes may be a good indication for structured and modular
code ;)

> I must tell certain things about mnoGoSearch that are currently different from Solr:
> - it stays compatible with 4.2 (not Extbase-d)

* EXT:solr is _not_ based on EXT:extbase
* However, the published version works with TYPO3 4.3 only

> - it does not require Java enterprise server
> - it is fully documented and free (there is no "private" version)

* EXT:solr is free, so is our so called "private" version.
The only difference is that the released version does not offer all the
features we have in our "private" version. These features are missing
either because they're not completely ready yet or because they didn't
get enough sponsorship to be released yet.

However, we've set ourselves a kind of "community contract": Whenever
the community provides a bigger contribution to the released version,
we'll in return contribute another feature on top of that.

Missing features in the community version:

* Auto Suggest
* More Like This
* Compatibility with TYPO3 versions 4.1 - 4.3

It's also easy to get access to the "private" version:
Simply contribute to the development of EXT:solr, you'll then get early
access to all features, setup support, and influence on what get's added
to the extension with which priority that will later be available in the
community version, too. It's just a kind of sponsorship model to ensure
the development of the extension.

I hope this clears some things up

all the best
Ingo