[TYPO3-english] Inline CSS in RTE?

La Farge Douglas doug at gcnpublishing.com
Thu Sep 3 03:37:49 CEST 2009

Jacob,

Here's what I've found so far.  This is from the manual.swx.

FAQ: How do I configure the editor to use my CSS styles?

In htmlArea RTE, the following style sheets apply to the contents of
the editing area and are linked in the following order:

1.the htmlarea-edited-content.css file from the skin in use; it
contains selectors for use in the editor, but not intended to be
applied in the frontend;

2.a css file generated from the mainStyleOverride and inlineStyle
assignments in Page TSConfig;

3.the css file specified by property contentCSS in Page TSConfig: you
may define the styles you want to use in an external CSS file and
assign the file name to this property.

An additional Page TSConfig property is recognized by htmlArea RTE:
ignoreMainStyleOverride. If set, htmlArea will ignore the
mainStyleOverride and inlineStyle sets of assignments and will use
only files 1 and 3 mentioned above. This allows the Classic RTE to
apply the css definitions defined in Page TSConfig and the htmlArea
RTE to use the external css file (presumably containing the same or
similar css definitions).

FAQ: Why does the text style selection list remain empty?

This selection list should display the classes specified by
RTE.default.classesCharacter. The specified classes must be defined in
the CSS style sheet contained in the file specified by
RTE.default.contentCSS. If RTE.default.classesCharacter is empty,
classes associated with the span tag are used. Classes not associated
with any tag in the contentCSS style sheet will be displayed only if
RTE.default.showTagFreeClasses = 1

Both of the German how-tos looks really good but once translated loses
some value.  After reviewing it i'm not finding the direction I need
to configure this the way I'd like.  Sadly, this can't be that
difficult yet it's proving to be.

Here's what I'm guessing we need to do.  Somewhere, somehow we tell
the RTE config, possibly through typoscript, the CSS classes we'd like
in the Text: menu.  Once those are there it's easy.  You simply add
those styles a CSS file configured contentCSS and they will be applied
on the front end.

The trick remains getting them into the Text: menu.  Maybe a couple
more hours of beating my head against a wall will do the trick