[TYPO3-english] Alpha transparent PNG with GIFBUILDER and masks

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Wed Oct 28 14:44:52 CET 2009

Rudy Gnodde (WIND Internet) schrieb:

> I've spend some time this weekend experimenting with this. I did get it
> to work with a very dirty hack, which broke other things. But then I
> noticed the files that were produced were more than 1Mb (980x187px),
> which is way too big for my uses. This isn't a problem with optimizing
> the image either, since the same image saved in Photoshop is about
> 800Kb, which is still too big. So I've abandoned this solution and
> changed the design so I don't need alpha transparent PNGs anymore.

Images with alpha transparency are rather large all the time, as you need
4 bytes of image information for every pixel.

Usually if you have a gif/png with 256 colors and a color palette you'll only
need 1byte / pixel.

JPEGs also support 16,7 million colors (3 bytes) but no transparency, and the
achieve their low size by using a lossy compression method. So opening and
saving a jpeg all the time, will result in quality loss.

greets,
Bernhard