[TYPO3-english] Sponsorship for mnogosearch + restricted content

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:20:06 CET 2009

Hi!

Georg Ringer wrote:
> I am searching for some people and companies who are interested in a
> great feature for the extension mnogosearch [1]: Indexing restricted
> content.

To give you an update... Currently I am investigating this but it is a very difficult problem :( It is more difficult than I thought. Here is a little background about problems we have.

Mnogosearch indexes URLs. It is exactly like Google: one URL equals to one page. TYPO3 can have many different pages with the same URL due to user groups. This does not fir to mnogosearch at all. Therefore mnogosearch has to be cheated in some way. For example, it can have different URLs for the same page depending on the user group. Then, at the search time, URLs have to be normalized to their typical look. This is possible and not a big problem.

There are two other problems that make the solution almost impossible.

The first problem is that content elements can belong to various groups. Let's assume that there is anonymous content, content that belong to group #1 and content that belong to #2. It means that we have to index the same page four times (anonymous, anonymous + #1, anonymous + #2, anonymous + #1 + #2). That is ok. Now how do we tell mnogosearch what kind of result do we need to fetch? We could use tags or categories. This would work but not reliabely. And there is another problem: duplicate search results.

This final problem is the worse one. Suppose we search for a word that appears in the anonymous content from the example above. If user is in groups #1 and #2, it will give us four results: anonymous page, anonymous + #1, anonymous + #2, anonymous + #1 + #2. These are all different pages to mnogosearch. They have to be filtered out to produce proper results. And this task is not solvable at the moment.

I afraid having a proper solution for handling permissions at content element level is not possible at the moment.

Now I am going to look to access control only at page level. Hopefully this will be easier. Stay tuned.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dmitryd