[TYPO3-english] URL rewriting. Is it better then leaving long query strings?

David Bruchmann typo3-en at bruchmann-web.de
Thu Oct 22 11:18:21 CEST 2009

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von:        StephenBungert <stephenbungert at yahoo.de>
Gesendet:   Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2009 11:02:33
An:         typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de
CC:
Betreff:    [TYPO3-english] URL rewriting. Is it better then leaving
long query	strings?
> I came a cross a blog article from google (2008), and in it, they claim that
> it is better to leave dynamic urls then re-write them to look static.
>
> Here is the blog in case you haven't come across it:
>
> http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/dynamic-urls-vs-static-urls.html
>
> I use realurl on my personal sites and am very pleased with it. I now
> understand how to re-write variables for different extensions, but if google
> says it's better not to do that, maybe I should stop.
>
> How many people here re-write their URLs? At work we don't and I haven't
> seen any problems with the pages getting indexed. Does anyone here have an
> experience with an eixsting site that didn't use an extension like realurl
> and that later did? Have you had better or worse search result positioning?
>
> I know that you can get vastly different adsense adverts just from the
> domain name, but how much of an affect does turning query strings in to
> static looking URLs have on indexing or ad serving? Would google also use
> this information?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts/opinions you may have.

Hi Stephan,

I know that google is able to catalog dynamic paramters in URLs but in
both cases (static or dynamic notification) some parameters like sorting
  (sorting table- or listcontent) multiply the google-results sensless
and make it harder to create statistics.
So, if you use parameters that don't change the content but only the
view, you should create a xml-sitemap for gooogle.
This reduces also the time google needs to index your page and the
amount of traffic. So you're saving money too perhaps.

Best Regards
David