[TYPO3-english] URL rewriting. Is it better then leaving long query strings?

StephenBungert stephenbungert at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 22 11:02:33 CEST 2009

I came a cross a blog article from google (2008), and in it, they claim that
it is better to leave dynamic urls then re-write them to look static.

Here is the blog in case you haven't come across it:

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/dynamic-urls-vs-static-urls.html

I use realurl on my personal sites and am very pleased with it. I now
understand how to re-write variables for different extensions, but if google
says it's better not to do that, maybe I should stop.

How many people here re-write their URLs? At work we don't and I haven't
seen any problems with the pages getting indexed. Does anyone here have an
experience with an eixsting site that didn't use an extension like realurl
and that later did? Have you had better or worse search result positioning?

I know that you can get vastly different adsense adverts just from the
domain name, but how much of an affect does turning query strings in to
static looking URLs have on indexing or ad serving? Would google also use
this information?

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions you may have.

-----
--
Stephen Bungert