[TYPO3-english] installtool warning : exec() has been disabled for security reasons in

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Oct 19 08:17:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

>> This can be set in the Install tool (or manually in localconf.php). Go
>> to 'All Configuration' and look for 'disable_exec_function'
>>
>> You can also see what the current value is with Module 'Configuration'
>> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['disable_exec_function']

This is just a boolean telling TYPO3 not to use "exec()" function but to use PHP internal functions (e.g., for unzipping files). But the documentation clearly states that for ImageMagick it will be
used anyway.

> Thanks for your response. there is no such line in my localconf.php.
> Though after getting your response I have checked with both the
> combination frim installtool and in both the cases no success. The
> exec() error is still there. Is there any option which can work through
> .htaccess  ( if apache allow to override it ) ?

No! It's not possible. The purpose of disabling exec function (and a few others btw) is to protect the webserver. You have to speak to your hoster (but I doubt this will be possible) as when using
TYPO3 a few programs should be available and PHP configuration cannot be restricted as much as one may want. Instead, your hoster could create a dedicated "bin" directory containing a white-list of
executables a TYPO3 website is allowed to run. This would include ImageMagick.

Once again, this configuration option is located in php.ini and cannot be set neither from .htaccess nor from Apache's httpd configuration file.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en