[TYPO3-english] Typo3 & stored procedure

Wiel, J.A.M. van de j.a.m.v.d.wiel at tue.nl
Wed Oct 14 08:16:46 CEST 2009

Hi Uros,
Stored procedures are one of those things that differ wildly between DB implementations so I can imagine dbal doesn't support them. TYPO3 itself doesn't use them by default anyway, so I can imagine it's not a very high priority.

The DB design for TYPO3 is relatively "dumb", with practically all logic moved into the application itself. This is probably historic legacy from a time when MySQL didn't do many advanced things yet. I'd advise you to try and put most of your business logic into the PHP code of your extension and use the TYPO3 API to make DB calls, just like the rest of TYPO3 does, for the sake of compatibility.

If you really can't live without stored procedures, you're probably forced to call the DB directly through its own native functions.. which introduces compatibility issues and is generally a bad idea. If things aren't too complex you might be able to get away with a trigger on some DB events, which would free you from the need to call your procedure from PHP. Still: tricky business which you'd best avoid.

With kind regards,

Bas