[TYPO3-english] GMENU Font Error

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Mon Oct 12 09:39:29 CEST 2009

Bernhard Kraft schrieb:

> First of all: It's "antiAlias" not "antialias" you'll have to take of
> upper and lower case. I guess such a typo happens now and then. I also
> make such mistakes quite often *grrr*

Another thing:

Joey is really having the right position: It would be much better to use
TMENUs instead. It's mostly the same, except that not images are
generated but simple "<a href>" tags.

If your objections on these are: Hey. I want to be able to click the
whole blue link box - not just the text, then your solution is to use
the CSS

"display: block"

on the "a" tag. It will make block-elements out of the links, making the
whole area clickable. Then it's also easy to change the arrow on the
left side using CSS "hover".

Text menus are not only smaller in size, better for your server because
no images have to get generated, but also better for disabled people
(blind, etc.) because a screenreader can always read the content of the
images - but such a program wont be able to decipher the text rendered
into the image.

Altough it is easier if someone wants to copy text from your menu. So
the label of a menu item to let it translate by google or whatever.

In almost any case you can use TMENUs instead of GMENUs, and in many
cases you are even more flexible with them as with GMENUs. So I have to
join Joeys opinion that you might be a little bit "lazy" not to learn
how to use them. Nobody forces you to do so. But I promise you'll use
them much more in future projects, than those GMENUs.

I mean you also invested some time to learn TYPO3 - and just did not
stick to the old "hey, I'll write you an admin tool for this site" paradigm.

greets,
Bernhard