[TYPO3-english] Avoid FE page-refresh with AJAX ? How hard is it ? Where to start ?

Christophe Stadler christophe at stadler.com
Fri Nov 6 12:07:50 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm not really a proper programmer so it seems my knowledge is not deep
enough to get started with this. What i want to do is fairly simple, i would
like to avoid page-refreshs and use some type of AJAX/JS to do this.

I've spent the last couple of days reading through the web and manuals to
try to figure this out but it seems i just don't have the base knowledge to
make the right connections. So yes, i did google and RTFM but still have no
clue how to go about this.

Could someone explain in fairly basic terms how something like this can be
done and point me somewhere in the right direction.

I am using Templavoila but it's a very simple layout, i basically only have
3 columns:

Menu | content | SWFmovie

What i want is that when i click on a menu item, the corresponding page
loads in the background and then appears in the maincontent DIV without the
page reloading

How do i set this up ?

Do i use the build in AJAX capabilities of T3 or do i have to install an
extension ? Or do i have to code this into the html-template via Javascript
?

Thx for any help or hints to get me started !

Chris