[TYPO3-english] New content element "video" - Support for video conversion in TYPO3 (FFmpeg)

Morten Kjems mortenkjems at gmail.com
Mon May 25 23:50:35 CEST 2009

At the beginning of this month I made a post titled: "Video sharing
project. Anyone interested?"

Basically I was looking for a video sharing feature or for someone who
would collaborate on developing one. Several responded with different ideas.

The discussion more or less end ended out in one core issue:

To create any video project in TYPO3 you need to implement a conversion
tool. The best conversion tool around is FFmpeg. FFmpeg work the same
way for video as imagemagick does for images.

The users dont't have to worry about formats and filesize. FFmpeg
converts the video to a desired format and combined with a player the
video is presented in the frontend.

Now you need external conversion software, knowledge about conversion
and formats plus various video player extensions. You can get fine
results this way but it is not easy for the user.

I would love to see a new content element named "video" based on FFmpeg.
this means that inserting video would be just as easy as inserting an
image. FFmpeg and TYPO3 will take care of all conversion and presentation.

Video content on the Internet is growing rapidly and more and more
website projects are going to demand support for video content. So why
not start looking into this subject now.

I would like to hear you thoughts about implementing support for FFmpeg
in TYPO3.

I think that project aiming for a new "video" content element would a
great start.

What do you think?

/Morten